Monday, October 20, 2008

Moonkin Nerfed

Edit: Sorry didn't realize the tooltip I copied was wrong. Max rank EnM still gives a 13% raid wide damage buff. The nerf is purely to the personal damage reduction.

Apparently there are two changes on the Beta realm that you all should know about.

Earth and Moon: Your Wrath and Starfire spells have a 100% chance to apply the Earth and Moon effect, which increases Arcane, Fire, Frost, Nature and Shadow damage taken by 13% for 12 sec. Also increases your spell damage by 3%. (Max rank EnM used to increase personal spell damage by 5%)

Glyph of Starfire: Your Starfire ability increases the duration of your Moonfire effect on the target by 3 sec, up to a maximum of 9 additional seconds. (Was unlimited)
My first reaction to this is obviously disappointment and anger. No one likes to be nerfed, but I'm going to hold my judgement for now.

Ghostcrawler said that the change was made because "balance dps is really high both at level 70 and 80. We're concerned that we made too many big changes and made their dps too high." (src)

I don't know if Balance DPS is two high or not. It's pretty hard to evaluate right now due to all of the server issues and the fact that almost all bosses are now loot piniatas. However, I can say one thing with complete confidence. Moonkin are not the highest DPSers in raid. In the last two raids we have run with 2 or 3 hunters. They are by far the best DPSers in raid, because the basically have unlimited mana now, an aggro dump, and at least a quarter of there damage comes from a pet with a separate aggro table. I'm not talking about a small advantage. In some cases they are doubling the DPS of the casters and such.

Murmurs has made a great post on the WoW forums regarding the state of Moonkin DPS and how Blizzard is trying to rely on Eclipse to heavily to make our spec more interesting. It's really long but she has some great points that I urge you to check out. (link)

4 comments:

Emily said...

To the best of my knowledge, Moonkin are middle-of-the-pack caster DPS at level 80. My understanding comes from looking at various SimulationCraft output (here is an example). SimulationCraft is a fun and interesting tool if you have the patience to play with it (I don't).

Anonymous said...

Isn't it still 13% for 3 ranks? At least it is on mmo-champions talent calculator.

Anonymous said...

I don't know where GC is getting this idea other than from AOE like some have suggested. On Saturday my guild ran a horribly nerfed ZA but I was able to beat our top warlock over all by only about 20 dps and he died a few times. Honestly we are on par with mages and locks now where we should be.
I hope we don't get nerfed that bad.

Dar said...

My grip with this nerf is not the lost of personal dps, but of raid stacking. Any warlock would be able to provide 10% increase in spell damage, while Affliction warlocks will be able to give 13%. With the other benefits moonkins being provided by other classes, I don't see how we would invited to that raid.